THE WORLD OF TECHNOLOGY. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.
– Do you have the right equipment to support your business and personal needs?
– Confused by all the new gadgets being introduced almost on a daily basis?
– Do you know what type of smartphone (iPhone, Android, blackberry) is right for you?
– Do you understand the new data plans that have been introduced by your wireless service provider (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.)?
– Are you or someone you know going through career transition and need help determining their technology needs?
– Need to set up a home office?
These are just a few topics that I discuss on my weekly radio program. While the shows are aired every Thursday at 4:30 PM, you can click on the link below to access the archives of all past programs at anytime. The topics as well as the names of guest speakers are listed for each show.
If you have any questions about any of the topics discussed, please contact me at 917 921-4518 or by e-mail at email@example.com for a FREE telephone consultation. Feel free to visit my website, www.bluetutor.com for more information about my services.
To hear the latest program, click on the play button (>) below. To access my program site and the archives, click on my name (Jim Blue).
LOOKING FOR A SIMPLE CELL PHONE?
For those of you who are not interested in a fancy smartphone, but a simple cell phone for telephone use only, check out the jitterbug phone at http://www.jitterbugdirect.com/.
Well over 90% of Americans own a cell phone. While the Jitterbug is advertised as the “Cellphone for Seniors,” its attractiveness is to any age group that is looking for a phone that is easy to see, hear, and simple to use.
In this mobile world, being able to reach out to someone in an emergency, regardless of age, makes having a cell phone a necessity. If you or someone else in your family has resisted having a cell phone because of the complexity of the most popular models on the market, consider the advantages of investing in a Jitterbug.
1. No contract required.
2. Larger screen, easy to see, even in the daylight.
3. Larger keyboard, making dialing easy.
4. Live, 24-hour support operators.
5. Affordable pricing starting at $14.99 per month.
If you or someone you know needs assistance selecting a cell phone, or any other technology issues, do not hesitate to contact me at 917 921-4518 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to click here to receive my free white paper on Technology Tips on setting up a home office and becoming a true road warrior.
DO YOU CARRY YOUR CELL PHONE WITH YOU?
10 Reasons to keep it close by
Although cell phone use in the US is well over 90%, there are still individuals that have resisted the urge to “become wired.” Although many of us would like the ability to escape and not be reached, there are many reasons why having a cell phone has become a necessity. The following are some of the more important ones:
1. You are almost always accessible. It is possible to limit your accessibility by switching the phone to a vibrate only mode, or turning it off, when at the movies or at dinner for example.
2. In case of emergency, you can reach out for help whether you are lost, have a flat tire or in need of medical assistance.
3. Running late? You can either call or send a text message.
4. Keeping in contact with your children whether it be a change of plans or out late at night.
5. If you are a senior, the ability to keep in touch with your family. If you are living alone, giving your children peace of mind.
6. Cost – Long distance calling is usually cheaper.
7. Taking a trip? – Have your home calls transferred to your cell phone.
8. If you are dependent on e-mail, you can purchase a “smartphone” that permits you to access your messages from anywhere.
9. An easy way of having access to all your contact information.
10. An extra alarm clock.
If you need assistance determining what type of cell phone is best for you or want to discuss upgrade options, do not hesitate to contact me at 917 921-4518 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
10 REASONS TO LOVE NETFLIX!
Do You like Movies?
1. One monthly fee ($7.99) lets you watch as many movies as you want.
2. Movies on Demand – You can watch a movie anytime you want either on your TV, computer, or smartphone (iphone, android, etc.)
3. No need to leave home.
4. No late fees
5. Large selection of movies in multiple categories Including classics that you may have missed or want to see again
6. A large library of past TV shows. You can watch multiple episodes of a series in a row
7. Cheaper than subscribing to all the premium movie channels from your cable provider
8. Can’t sleep, watch a movie.
9. You can search for a movie or TV show by category, title, or actor/actress.
10. No Commercials
If you have any questions about how to set up a Netflix account, do not hesitate to contact me by phone at (917) 921-4518 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, click HERE to join my mailing list and receive my FREE whitepaper on setting up a home office and becoming a true road warrior.
CONFUSED BY YOUR CELL PHONE BILL?
What is a Tiered Data Plan?
Recently released statistics (as reported by CNN.com) indicate that more than a third of U.S. adults now own smartphones. The Nielsen Company reports that smartphones represent over 50% of all new cell phone purchases.
By definition, a smartphone is any mobile device that combines functions such as telephone, e-mail, Internet access, contact information, and calendar. The three major suppliers of smartphones are Apple’s I-Phone, RIM’s Blackberry, and Google’s Android.
Cell phone providers (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.) offer a variety of telephone plans based on your usage. While the telephone plans are the same for smartphones, there is an additional charge for “data,” meaning e-mail and Internet access. These charges add an additional $30 and up to your bill.
Several weeks ago, following the lead of its competitors, Verizon ended its “unlimited” data plan and introduced “tiered” pricing. The end of the unlimited era has confused many consumers who do not understand the new pricing structure which is based on the amount of data usage. Verizon now offers monthly plans of $30 for 2GB of data, $50 for 5GB of data and $80 for 10GB of data. Additional fees will apply if you exceed the limits of your plan.
In order to determine what plan is best for you, below is a list of functions that will impact your data usage.
1. Streaming video – Watching video on programs such as YouTube or full length movies on services like Netflix and Hulu on your smartphone or I-Pad.
2. Streaming Audio – While it is OK to play music from your I-Tunes library, using Internet Radio programs such as Pandora eats into your usage (although not as much as video).
3. Navigation systems – Using your smartphone on the road as opposed to an in-car navigation system.
4. Internet Use – Sites with significant amounts of data.
Accessing social media sites such as Facebook will not consume a lot of megabytes. However uploading photos will. Twitter is fine since it deals mainly with small amounts of text. No need to worry about e-mail, since it is basically plain text. However, if you receive attachments with high resolution pictures, your usage will increase.
An alternative to using your cell phone provider’s data service is using Wi-fi wherever it is available, whether that be at home, in your office or a “hotspot.” There are no data limitations with a wi-fi connection.
As for me, I am on the road quite a bit and use my smartphone all day. An analysis of my usage indicates that I am well under 2GB per month, which should be more than sufficient for the average mobile warrior. I suggest you check with your service provider who is able to provide you with an analysis of your usage prior to selecting a pricing package.
If you have any questions about your cell phone situation, want to discuss a possible upgrade, or any other technology issues, give me a call at 917 921-4518 or send an email to email@example.com.
Click HERE to join my mailing list and receive my FREE whitepaper on setting up a home office and becoming a true road warrior.