Have you created a Technology Plan?
- Take an inventory of your existing equipment at home and determine what is usable and what needs to be replaced.
- If you currently share a computer with other members of your household, consider buying one for yourself.
- Find a place in your home to work without background noise and traffic.
- If you don’t have wireless Internet access at home, have one set up so multiple computers have Internet access simultaneously. Make sure your wireless network is strong in your work area and secured with a password.
- If you only have one e-mail address, set up another for business purposes only.
- Consider purchasing an all-in-one printer, scanner, copier, fax machine if you don’t already have one. If it is wireless, there is no need for more than one printer.
- Don’t bother adding another telephone line at home for business purposes. Use your cell phone.
- Since you no longer have a corporate support line to call, find a reliable tech support person and set up a maintenance program for your equipment.
- Since recent surveys indicate that 3 out of 5 people find that they spend more time working outside their office, consider upgrading to a smartphone (blackberry, iphone, or android) which will give you access to your e-mail and the Internet on the road.