According to Facebook, seniors are the fastest growing segment of the population joining their social networking site. Pew Internet Research reports that 27% of seniors now use social media. One of the major areas that seniors are interested in when I hold a workshop is how to use Facebook.
Why the popularity of Facebook among seniors?
– More and more seniors are choosing to live alone. Facebook offers the ability to socialize with family and friends without leaving their home.
– Social networking sites, particularly Facebook, offer new opportunities to stay in touch and search for friends and past business associates.
– Families are more spread out than in the past. Facebook offers seniors the opportunity to keep in touch with family members and friends anywhere in the world.
– Family members love to share photos. Many seniors access Facebook everyday to keep up-to-date with family events, particularly through new photos and videos.
– Facebook offers the opportunity to play games with family and friends.
For those of you who have not yet set up a Facebook account, my suggestion is to find a family member or close friend who can get you started. Here are some important ways they can help.
– Create an informative About Page which includes information about you. This should include your education and employment history. Having a good picture will help people recognize you.
– Learn how to search for friends and family members.
– Understand some of the safety rules regarding accepting and requesting friends.
– Have someone set up the appropriate privacy settings for you.
– It’s OK to post the month and day of your birthday but leave out the year.